Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Time saving no-cook over night refrigerator Oatmeal

I have a confession to make. I used to hate oatmeal, It was the most un-appetizing breakfast. I have tried many times as a student to cook oats with buttermilk, milk, water, even olives ! Alas, but to no vail. I used to hate it.

Then a few months back my mom made me try masala oats, a ready to cook savory oats porridge available in India and I was hooked. I ate it so much, that I got around 30 sachets of masala oats from India.

Over night oatmeal
Rolled oats
This got me thinking that if I love savory oats in ready to eat packs so much, I should try cooking them myself with different flavors and so began my oatmeal experiments. And lo behold now I want to get up every morning to a bowl of oatmeal :) I love them so much. My favorite is the no-cook refrigerator oatmeal. It is so easy to make, requires some planning and you can have it  in any flavor you like. I love these oats as you dont have to wake every morning wondering what to eat for breakfast, saving you a lot of time and effort. I am sure you will love these.

Here's what you ll need :

* Rolled Oats - 1/3 cup + extra
* Milk/ Soy milk / Rice Milk/ Almond Milk
* Chia seeds - 1 tsp
* Cacao/ coco powder - 1 tsp
* Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
* Sweetener - brown sugar, stevia, maple syrup, agave, honey
* Nuts
* Fruit - banana, strawberries, berries
* Air tight container that does not drip or leak.

Over night no-cook oatmealHere's how you do it. Take any kind of air tight container that you might have - mason jars or small glass lunch boxes. Put everything, except the fruit inside the container, add as much or as little milk as you like. Close it - shake shake shake, Put it in the refrigerator and forget about it. Your no-cook overnight refrigerator oatmeal is ready to eat the next day !

Before you eat it, chop some fresh fruit up and it to the oat meal. Fresh fruit enhances the chewy gooey flavor of the soaked rolled oats.

Chia seeds, have a neutral flavor and when they soak in the milk tend to swell up and become like tapioca balls. I always add some to my oatmeal.
Chia seeds in no-cook over night oatmeal
Chia seeds, a great addition the oatmeal.

And here's the trick, you can experiment with any or all of the above and even add your own flavors - Matcha Green tea, Brown sugar and Maple, and my favorite Chocolate & Strawberry. Enjoy :)
Strawberries taste so good with oatmeal
Strawberries




Strawberries with oatmeal
Strawberries, taste so good with oatmeal !
Let me know if you do try the oatmeal or how do you make your oatmeal every morning?

2 comments:

Please take some time and leave me your valuable comments. Thanks