Wednesday, November 6, 2013

CousCous Salad

When I woke up this morning, I heard from my mom in India, that Tarla Dalal India's most celebrated and loved chefs passed away. It is a very sad day. Back in the day when I was a kid and my mom always likes to cook, we used to refer to her cook books and still do today. It was just yesterday that I made her pav bhaji recipe. In India, Tarla Dalal is the equivalent of Julia Child in the United States. She was a house wife who loved cooking and started cookery classes in Mumbai, before writing her first cook book and cookery show. It is inspiring and motivating to read her story.

Let's get on to the recipe now.


Cous Cous salad, just looking at the pictures makes me drool :D
I love Couscous, during grad school I made a lot of it. It is very quick to cook and tasty. I had a couscous salad at a friends place and decided to try something similar at home. The portion size for the salad are for a side. If you are eating this as the main dish, you can double everything in the recipe for a wholesome meal.

Serves : 2

Time: 10 - 15 minutes

Recipe:

1/2 cup large pearl couscous
1 1/2 cups water
1/3  cup cucumber diced
1/3 cup red pepper diced
2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
cilantro for garnish

For the dressing:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cumin powder
Salt & pepper to taste

* Pour water into a pan along with couscous, place it on flame and let it simmer for 6 minutes. Slowly bring to a boil , take it off the flame and close with lid. Let the couscous cook for 10 minutes.

* Once the couscous is cooked it will be fluffy and soft. Drain the water and let the couscous cool in a colander.

* Meanwhile add all the ingredients for the dressing in a measuring jar or bowl and stir.

* Once the couscous has cooled down, add it to the cucumber, red pepper, sunflower seeds and cilantro. Pour the dressing over the couscous and serve immediately.

* Enjoy with a cup of hot soup or by itself. You can also add chopped onions, baby tomatoes and olives , feta cheese to make it a mediterranean style salad.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take some time and leave me your valuable comments. Thanks