Monday, March 18, 2013

Caprese Salad

The other day , I was randomly browsing through the internet looking for Italian starters for a party I was organizing and came across this salad. Honestly, I am not sure if I have eaten it before but it look too appetizing and easy to ignore. So off I went to the grocery store picked up a few ingredients to make this delicious and oh so easy dish.

IMG_3553
Fresh Mozzarella with balsamic vinegar reduction and basil.


Well I also looked online and learnt how to pronounce the way Italian's do ;) .. Its Ka-Pray-Say (kaprese)  see wasn that easy, Now we can all pretend we are connoisseurs of fine Italian Food.

Lets get on to the recipe.

Ingredients
3- Vine Ripened Tomatoes ( or just the fat huge tomatoes at the grocery store :D)
1 - large fresh Mozzarella cheese (you want to buy the whole big role)
1 bunch Basil leaves
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt & Pepper

* In a heavy bottomed pan take about 1-1 1/2 cups of balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Keep stirring while it boils , its easy to get it burned. It takes about 10 minutes for it to start getting thick & reduce.We are making a balsamic reduction here which will go over the salad. So once u have the reduction ready, take it off the pan and keep it ready.

*Wash & pat dry the tomatoes, You want to take off the stem, and cut them into thick slices.

*Take the mozzarella cheese and cut them into thick slices too, Hopefully you are not tempted to take a bite of the soft cheese like did and land up having less cheese and more tomatoes :).

* Now is the part I love, Take a long salad plate, place a slice of tomato, a slice of mozzarella, add basil leaves between the two slices and on top of the  mozzarella. Once you have done this with all the remaining slices, Drizzle balsamic vinegar , sprinkle with salt & pepper.

And don't forget to click pictures of your recipe and post them on Facebook on our webpage : CookwithAvial
IMG_3554
Caprese Salad 

I hope to write very soon again.

- Yanka


1 comment:

  1. I can easily say that this was the most delicious salad I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete

Please take some time and leave me your valuable comments. Thanks