Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A box full of happiness.

Diwali brings back memories of lighting diyas, decorating the home and fireworks. Mom used to make a lot of savories for us, as no one in my family was very fond of sweets. But being so far away from home , there is one sweet that reminds me of my childhood it is magas.


I remember my grandma always used to have a box full of magas and she would remove 1-2 pieces everyday as prasad for her pooja in the morning. I would wait for her to be done to grab those pieces. That tiny steel box filled is one of my most vivid and fondly remembered childhood memories.

My grandma makes the best magas in the world. Last year my mom was here in the US and we celebrated Diwali after a long time together. She made magas for us. I watched as she made it and this year I replicated it.

Its very simple to put together if you have all your ingredients right.




Ingredients:
1 cup ladoo besan / magas besan ( coursely ground besan)
1 cup ghee
Castor Sugar/ finely granulated sugar to your taste apporx 1 cup

Garnish
cardamom podwer
slivered almonds

Recipe:
In a heavy bottomed pan, add ghee and besan, stir together on medium heat. Keep stirring every 2-3 mins till the besan turns a golden yellow and you get a fragrant aroma. This will depend on the type of heating you are using. It took around 30-40 mins for me. Make sure to pay attention the besan can get burnt easily.

Once the besan is a golden yellow take the pan off the stove , add sugar. I added granulated sugar to the besan which gives a slight crunch to the magas. Add the cardamom powder.

Butter the sides of a pie pan or a deep dish and now pour the mix into it. Garnish with slivered almonds and leave for a few hours to cool down and set.

Magas stays good for a few months on the counter, as there is only ghee, sugar and besan in it. I hope you enjoy your Diwali and creating new memories for your family. Happy Diwali!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take some time and leave me your valuable comments. Thanks