Monday, April 8, 2013

Broccoli Stem Chips + A Campaign to Inspire Action

This post is dedicated to the Bloggers Against Hunger Campaign.


We are working collectively to raise awareness about the hunger issues in America. In America, where food is available in plenty it is an irony that 1 out of 5 kids go without proper food everyday. Today, I urge you to take action and play a small but significant role in solving the hunger problem in America. Here's what you can do
  • Click Here to write to your Representative, Senator or elected official emphasizing that you want to end hunger in America by maintaining and prioritizing anti-hunger initiatives in Congress.
  • I also encourage you to watch " A place at the table" with your family and friends to spread more awareness of this issue. It is available online on youtube.

In my effort to find budget & health friendly recipes, I decided to try something different by using stuff in our kitchen which we discard and never use. Broccoli stems for example have been one item in my list that usually land up in the trash. So I decided it was time to look into what I could do with those stems. Surprisingly there are many options. I liked one which was a quick and easy snack - Broccoli Stem Chips. These chips are best if eaten fresh out of the oven. It does not cost anything as you are using left overs and pantry staples.

IMG_3722
Ready to eat broccoli stem chips


IMG_3704
Sliced broccoli stem
Broccoli Stem Chips:

Ingredients:

Broccoli stems
1 Egg
Splash of milk
Bread crumbs
Any kind of Paprika, Cayenne Pepper
Garlic Powder.

- Preheat oven to 350.

- Peel the Broccoli stems and slice into every thin slices.

- Prepare the egg wash, by breaking the egg and adding a splash of milk.

- In another bowl, add the breadcrumbs, paprika and garlic powder.

- Dip the slices in egg wash and then in breadcrumb mixture and place on baking sheet.

IMG_3713
Ready to be baked.
- Bake in the oven for 10 mins or until golden brown.

- These are crispiest when eaten fresh out of the oven.

IMG_3716
Chips ready to be eaten.
- Enjoy !!!


8 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I also like that they are oven baked and not fried. Ever since my parents have been visiting me, we have gotten into the habit of cooking every part of the broccoli head and stems in our curries, and now you've given me a new recipe to try out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harini, What do you usually make with broccoli stems?

      Delete
  2. Great idea!! I actually love broccoli stems raw, but I think I'll try this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use for broccoli stems! I usually juice them but this seems like a fun way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I'm looking through what other bloggers who participated in this blogger event posted, and I really like this idea! I'll definitely have to make it sometime. Glad you joined in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. Should try this.

    ReplyDelete

Please take some time and leave me your valuable comments. Thanks