Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Asparagus Soup

It's been a while since I posted any recipes, I have been too lazy to take pictures while cooking and a recipe without pictures is like a painting without colours. Ah well, I promise to take pictures while I cook , but just for once lets start with today's recipe without pictures. Asparagus, I have never seen one until I lived in Adelaide , Australia but I had tasted the ready to make cream of asparagus soup my grandpa used to get us, from Mumbai. It was delicious and so ever since I wanted to make fresh asparagus soup and enjoy the creamy rich soup. Asparagus is not only low in calories and sodium it is also a good source of dietary fiber which we don't get in all foods.


So here's what you'll need to make this soup
* Asparagus - one bunch
* Small Onion - half finely chopped
* Unsalted Butter - 1 tsp
* All purpose flour - 1 tbsp
* Milk - 1/2 cup
* Fresh cream - 1/2 cup
* Salt and Pepper to taste


  1. Boil the asparagus and onions with enough water ( or vegetable broth) to cover all the pieces. Boil until the asparagus is soft and looses its bright green colour to dull green.
  2. Let it cool for a while.
  3. Blend the boiled mixture entirely till the asparagus is crushed completely.
  4. In a pan melt the butter add 1 tsp flour and add salt and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes. Do not let the flour brown.
  5. Add 1/2 cup water and let the flour dissolve if needed add more water to dissolve lumps.
  6. Then add the blended mixture, milk and cream, let the mixture boil for a while.
  7. Serve with croutons or garlic bread.


Isn't things a quick and easy recipe to make a great dinner. What you waiting for go ahead and try it and let me know how you liked it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take some time and leave me your valuable comments. Thanks